Univerity of Pennsylvania and Penn Medicine: Facts and Figures
University of Pennsylvania
Ranked #4 Among the Top
STEM Schools for Women
Penn Medicine hospitals ranked #1 among top hospitals in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Reports
Office of Inclusion, Diversity
& Equity anchor programs
- FDA Approves “Glowing Tumor” Imaging Drug to Better Identify Ovarian Cancer Cells Using Approach Pioneered by Surgeons at the University of Pennsylvania November 30, 2021 The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today approved an imaging drug known as Cytalux (pafolacianine), which is attracted to ovarian cancer tissue and illuminates it when exposed to fluorescent light, allowing surgeons to more easily find and more precisely remove the cancer.
- Penn Medicine and Independence Blue Cross Renew Transformative Contract for Third Time November 29, 2021 The University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) and Independence Blue Cross (Independence) will continue their transformative work together to improve health care quality and delivery through a new long-term renewal of their contract.
- About 12 Percent of Patients Who Receive Common Cardiac Device Implants Develop Persistent Opioid Use November 26, 2021 About 12 percent of patients who receive implantable cardiac devices such as a pacemaker or defibrillator and fill an opioid prescription after surgery will consistently use the pain medication in the months afterward.
- $10 Million Gift Establishes New Colton Center for Autoimmunity at Penn Medicine November 18, 2021 Thanks to a generous $10 million gift from Stewart and Judy Colton, the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania will continue to be on the leading edge of autoimmune research and care with the launch of the Colton Center for Autoimmunity at Penn.
- Common Gene Variants Linked to Sepsis and COVID-19 Severity in African Americans November 16, 2021 Two genetic risk variants that are carried by nearly 40 percent of Black individuals may exacerbate the severity of both sepsis and COVID-19, a team of researchers from the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine have found.
Safety and efficacy of teriflunomide in paediatric multiple sclerosis (TERIKIDS): a multicentre, double-blind, phase 3, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.
Chitnis T, Banwell B, Kappos L, Arnold DL, Gücüyener K, Deiva K, Skripchenko N, ... The Lancet. Neurology. 2021 Dec;20(12):1001-1011
Association of Acute Kidney Injury During Diabetic Ketoacidosis With Risk of Microalbuminuria in Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
Huang JX, Casper TC, Pitts C, Myers S, Loomba L, Ramesh J, Kuppermann N, ... JAMA pediatrics. 2021 Nov 29
The Lancet Commission on diagnostics: transforming access to diagnostics.
Fleming KA, Horton S, Wilson ML, Atun R, DeStigter K, Flanigan J, Sayed S, ... Lancet (London, England). 2021 Nov 27;398(10315):1997-2050 Epub 2021 Oct 6
Spinal Anesthesia or General Anesthesia for Hip Surgery in Older Adults.
Neuman MD, Feng R, Carson JL, Gaskins LJ, Dillane D, Sessler DI, Sieber F, ... The New England journal of medicine. 2021 Nov 25;385(22):2025-2035 Epub 2021 Oct 9
Over-celling fetal microbial exposure.
Kennedy KM, Bellissimo CJ, Breznik JA, Barrett J, Braun T, Bushman FD, De Goffau M, ... Cell. 2021 Nov 24;184(24):5839-5841